Families all around the world follow in the family tradition of decorating their Christmas trees. It is a very cheerful time of year but we must also take precautions when decorating for the holidays. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, Christmas trees are involved in approximately 400 fires annually. Short-circuiting tree lights are cited as the leading cause.
Christmas Tree Safety
- Set up trees away from fire places, portable heaters, heater vents and television sets. Make sure not to block doorways.
- Use only lights that are tested for safety by a recognizable testing laboratory, such as Underwriters’ Labratories.
- Check natural trees daily, a dry tree catches fire more easily and much quicker than a well-watered tree.
- Be careful where you place electrical cords. Don’t run them under rugs; walking trigger can weaken the insulation and the wires can overheat. Increasing the changes for fire or electrical shock.
- Use no more than one extension per outlet.
Safe Candle Use
- Young children should be taught to stay away from lit candles. Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children and pets.
- Light them in a safe area.
- Always check to make sure candles are blown out before leaving the house or going to sleep. Unattended candles invite disaster.
Servpro of North Huntington is here for you 24/7 and always prepared for your emergency situation. We hope you have a happy and healthy holiday!
Servpro of North Huntington